Monday, November 18, 2013

The Night Before

Well, it is the night before we begin the next phase of her birthmark removal. I mentioned in my last post I'd update you to see how she is doing with knowing what's about to happen.

While the surgeries and procedures are along the same lines, there is one major difference. She is now 4 and not 2. That's a whole new ballgame for us. So we shall see how this goes in the next months.

Before I tell you how she is doing, let me ask you this: how would you react, knowing you were going back to the place where you've cried and got needles? How would you feel when you remember that you were taken away in a wheelchair, away from your mom and dad?

I think I know your answer, which would be exactly like mine: I'd feel scared, nervous, anxious, apprehensive; I'd cry and beg not to go. I know this is how I would feel.

That's why it baffles me that this girl is.......get this, excited!!! Yes, you read that right! She is looking forward to it!! Crazy girl! :o)

I started talking to her last week about going back to the hospital, using the words "well, when we go, what would you like to take with you?" or "When we go back to the hospital, you'll get to sleep in a big bed this time, not a crib.". When I asked her what she liked at the hospital, she replied, "The playroom!" So I then said, "Well, when we go, we will make sure we play in the playroom." I kept this up periodically throughout the days, and she over time she knew she was going to go back. On Saturday we started counting down the nights, which she liked!

I knew I had to tell her before Sunday, because she would hear the minister pray for her, which she did! And the other reason why we had to tell her by Sunday is because we had to drop Lincoln off already. Awww, I miss those blue eyes!!! He leaves such a hole in our family with him not being here.
(don't mind the dirty face.....it's just hummus, which he eats like there is no tomorrow).

Knowing that we wouldn't have Lincoln with us the whole day before she goes in, we planned an All Girl Day, doing what we love to do and what Lincoln hates doing: that's right, shop. :o) I would love to have taken her for a pedicure, but she isn't allowed to wear nail polish for surgery. So we spent the day together, shopping. It was so much fun!!

Here she is, already to go, with her favourite zebra purse:

We hit 4 stores and then the mall. She loved every minute of it! Tonight, when I tucked her into bed, I asked her what her favourite part of the day was, and she said "The Mickey Mouse store!" (the disney store).

Then one of the employees pulled her off to the side, gave her a stuffie to relax her head on, and read her a book. It was so special!! She left with a key chain and a bookmark - for free!

She was allowed to pick whatever she wanted for lunch, and true to her nature, she picked a chicken leg and french fries. This girl LOVES chicken legs, and eats it until there isn't a stitch of meat left on the bones!

After a full day of shopping, we headed home to make Playdough together, adding in Kool-Aid for smell, and glitter for some pizazz.



And then, because Lincoln wasn't here, she could play with it right away, much to her delight (Lincoln can't play with play dough yet......not unless we want our supply to shrink. And fast. With finding most of it in his diaper the next day :o)

And if that wasn't enough, the day ended with a visit from Oma and Opa, who left her with a leap pad that she can play with while she heals up (well, once mom and dad figure out how to set the thing up!). What a spoiled girl!!!

So, I'd say all in all, it was a great day! We had so much fun together! And now she is sound asleep, and has been since 7. That's a good thing because 4:30 will be here before we know it!

We are so thankful she is quite fine about going back, to see Dr. Zuker, to play and to sleep there. Before she went to bed, she helped me pack up her suitcase. She has no problems with any of this at all. Such a blessing and answer to prayers.

The one thing I have not done is told her why she is going back. I have not told her that she is going to get bubbles again. We will deal with that after the surgery. I have asked her before whether it'd be okay with her that she gets bubbles again, and she said absolutely not. Cringe. So we'll cross that bridge later this week, or when she has to go for her first fill.

Thank you once again to the many of you that have reached out to us via phone calls, emails and messages. We will keep you updated tomorrow and the days following as to how things are going.

No comments:

Post a Comment