Thursday, October 11, 2012

So now what?

Seeing as we don't need to go back to the hospital until next May and if I stick to what this blog was for, that means there won't be a whole lot to update until then. So now what? As you can see from the last three months, I haven't been able to keep the blog to just about Keziah and the removal of her freckle. I have realized over the last 6 months that I enjoy writing; I enjoy documenting things and most of all, I have enjoyed sharing the pictures.

I do feel a bit at a crossroads: do I keep blogging (just for fun) or do I stop? Do I start another one and keep on documenting and sharing pictures of our family? Although I have enjoyed it a lot, what makes me hesitant about starting another blog about us (apart from Keziah's medical journey) is the worry of "self-indulgence/absorption", the worry of how my blog would come across: "Here!! Look at me/us!!! Look what we are doing and how perfectly things seem to be!!!". (I've touched upon this in a previous post here).

And yet, I've enjoyed doing this one for Keziah a lot. So, with trepidition, I will start another blog on one account: that is to remember that everything needs to be done for the glory of God. If I lose that focus, I pray that I will become aware of it (either through my own eyes or by a reminder from you) and the result will be that I will instantly quit blogging. I will quit it as soon as it takes a priority in my life. I will stop writing if I notice a theme of pride in my posts.

For now, I will continue and we'll see how long I do. You can find my new blog here. There isn't anything there yet, but I have some in draft (the Butternut Squash recipe that people have been asking for as well as our Thanksgiving weekend in pictures. Lincoln also woke up this morning with a funny looking rash on his ankle which I wouldn't mind asking about, seeing as there are many knowledgeable people out there! :o). editor's note: it is up and running now with the recipe for the soup

The reason for separating the two blogs is to keep this one as is should be: Keziah's journey. If people are looking and researching about what to do because their child has the same birthmark as Kez, I want it to be easily accessible for them.

And so, without further adieu, I'd like to take this time to thank EVERYONE who has been there in any way, shape or form the last 6 months. Your support has been amazing and was felt not only by us, but also by Keziah.
All the cards and pictures she received while going through the surgeries.

Above all, we praise our Heavenly Father. He is the one who placed this darling daughter into our lives. He is the one who knew all along that she would be born with this birthmark and what she would need to go through to remove it.  We know that through the trials He gives to us, He is refining us, to learn to place all our trust in Him, to lay all our anxieties at His feet. Such a difficult thing to do, to leave things with Him as we like to have a sense of control, but once done, it is so relieving knowing that an almighty God has everything planned out and He is there to carry you through the journey He has placed you on. Trust and obey. Two simple yet hard to do words. We thank Him for giving us His Spirit to do exactly that, trust and obey; and pray that He will continue to do so.

And I will update if necessary as time passes until we get to May, in which I will once again update regularly as we move on to the next phase of removal.

3 comments:

  1. Loved reading your blog Keziah....will continue to look forward to reading your new one about everyday life! :) Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'about' Keziah :) Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is amazing Michelle. I am having difficulty with words right now, I'm crying. It seems as though you've documented my daughter's life and posted her pictures. She is now 26 yrs old,( in Sept) and despite her trials and tribulations during her first part of her journey, is the most beautiful girl, both inside and out. She has literally been through almost exactly what Keziah is going through,perhaps with a with a few more setbacks . I made a huge mistake 25 years ago, by not forcing the issue of having my daughter sent to Toronto to see Dr. Zuker, because her Winnipeg surgeon's ego, and his want or need to perform this procedure for the very first time on a face, was more important to him than Gen's best interest. I have not forgiven myself yet, and I feel terribly guilty, could things have worked out differently, or been easier for her? Never, ever feel that you are annoying the doctors, always be strong. Doctors are great, we need them. They chose their career and worked hard for it, but the truth is, we are their paying customers, and it's " Buyer Beware" Would you annoy the hairdresser cutting Keziah's hair if she had a plan of her own that you weren't convinced was the best for her? Doctors are human beings, and should not be followed blindly. When my son and I walked past you in the hallway at Sick Kids, it was like a dream, I saw my daughter. It all came back to me, I was shaking inside and maybe a little on the outside. My heart went out to you, Keziah and her family, as I knew what she was in for. But, I wanted you to know, that with Gods help, good doctors and strong family support, Keziah will be more than fine. Just like my Gena, she will grow and bloom into the most beautiful, most special of God's creations. I believe that everything that Gena has experienced through her journey so far has made her stronger, more determined, more caring,more compassionate.Yes, I believe he has a plan and yes it is difficult to trust , even though we are surrounded constantly by evidence that he carries us through our journey. Most of us just don't know he carries us, yet he still does. Thank you for your blog. Ginette

    ReplyDelete