Monday, May 5, 2014

It's Been Awhile.....

Yesterday it was 2 months since Keziah had her last big surgery to remove a large part of her scalp nevus, so I thought I'd give a quick little update as to how she is doing.

Well, what can I say. She is doing well!!

She is happy and goofy a lot of the time, enjoying life like a 4 year old should be, without having to worry about weekly fill ups and the stress that all comes with that.

When people ask her how she is doing, she is thrilled to tell them that she doesn't have to go to the hospital for a "whole week!" :o)

Speaking of the hospital, about a month ago, something very special came in the mail for Keziah - something that was mailed by Ms. Valentina, our "check in" lady at the Plastics clinic!!!



Keziah was quite surprised and excited with her gift of a new hat. THANK YOU, Ms. Valentina!!!

Now onto her incisions and how they are healing. I must say, these incisions have taken a long time to heal up. We are still dealing with scabs and having to clean her incisions at least once a day. But it's getting there, looking much better than even a month ago.

We are eager for her hair to grow back where it was shaved. Once that has filled in, it'll definitely cover the incisions that will not have hair. I'll be honest, I find the incisions wide (wider than I thought they'd be...) and they will only widen more as her head grows. So I definitely see some scar revision that will need to be done in the far future, once her head is done growing.
But we are able to cover up the scar pretty good as she does have lots of hair

 Keziah is 4.5 years old, which means when we go out in public (which is all the time), people now ask her what is wrong with her eye, and not me. Usually she handles it quite well, but we did have an incident a few weeks ago which made her hide her face into me. When we talked about it later, she burst into tears, crying "I don't like it when everyone always talks about my eyebrow." This made her mother burst into tears :o( Oh how I would give anything to have my daughter walk out of the door and not have a single person ask her what's wrong with her eye/eyebrow.

But this incident was definitely a teaching moment, and so we had a good chat as to how to handle it when someone is obnoxious. She recognized that it is not nice to treat someone like that, and by how she felt, she now knows not to ever point or be rude to someone else. We also talked about how we should react to people who do this to her.

It didn't take long before we were back out in public and someone asked her about her eye. She shrugged and said, "It's just my birthmark.". She told me later that she didn't mind that the man asked her.

Keziah still has no problem with her freckle and actually quite likes it. It's just the attention it receives, she does not like. She does not like being the center of attention in the best of times.

We are so proud of her. We see often that the Lord has blessed her with a maturity that has her handle herself well in situations that would make me wring someone's neck.

We go back to see Dr. Zuker on June 12th for a follow up, as well as a plan of "what's next" and "when". I will update after that appointment.

The sun is shining more - yay - which means a hat is a fixture on this girl's head to protect her freckle and scars from the sun.

 Thanks for reading and enjoy the month of May!!

No comments:

Post a Comment