Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Oblivious No Longer...


Oh, how I love that darling face!! She is two in the first picture, 15 months in the second picture -the time before all surgeries, procedures, owies, bubbles, drains, suture care, pokes, bruises, hospital stays, IVs, infection. It is also the age where she was so innocent. Not innocent in behaviour (don't be fooled by her adorable face :o). ), but innocent in the fact that she had no idea yet that she has something on her face that not too many others have.

That was then. This is now.....4 years later. I've mentioned it before that the window of Keziah not realizing that she looks different than others was closing. This was obvious through the comments stated here and there by her. Well, that window is most certainly closed. She knows. She is very aware of how she looks. She is very aware of how others look at her. It's not only the fact that she is almost 6 that tells us she knows. It's when she plainly told us last week:

"I don't like my face. I don't like how my face looks."

Nothing like putting tears in our eyes quicker than if we had put our hands in the very campfire that we were sitting around when she said this.

I can't remember exactly how it came up, but we were chatting around the campfire, just her, her dad, and me. We were talking about how two people at a store had asked her what happened to her eye. No one has actually asked her in awhile, so it threw us for a loop for a minute, forgetting that there really is still something "different" about her eye. And that is when she said that - about her face.

My heart stopped and my stomach dropped. I quickly looked at Nathan and didn't say anything. She clearly wanted to talk about it and so we just let her talk. And it all came out, statements like:

"I don't like it that my eye is different than everyone else's."

"I don't like it that is all hairy and that people stare at me."

And the comment that nearly did us in:

"I don't like looking in the mirror. When I brush my teeth, I always see my face, and I don't like it."

What do you say?!

While she was talking, I couldn't help but pray for wisdom. The time that the social workers "warned" us about before we adopted her has come:
  • Are you ready to deal with self-esteem issues - more than what others will have to deal with?
  • You realize that by adopting her, you are signing up for more questions by her and will need to help her in dealing with the fact that she looks different than most?
So we knew it would come. One day. But so soon?! When she is still so young? When no 5 year old should ever say she doesn't like looking in the mirror because of her face??!

We let her talk, and not once while she was talking did we tell her she was beautiful, that it doesn't matter that she looks different than others. Why not, you ask? Because we truly felt that we would have then dismissed her feelings. She was opening up her heart to us, so to tell her "It's not true - you are beautiful!! So people look at you, who cares?" just didn't feel like the right response at this moment. Of course, we tell her those things often - but we really felt that while she was baring her heart, now was not the time. It was time to comfort her, to let her know that we are there for her, to help her work through how she feels. And by pushing her feelings away by "disagreeing" with her just did not seem like the right option (this time).

And so we listened to our darling, beautiful daughter tell us things that no 5 year old should be saying. We held our tears in check (until after she went to bed) and validated her thoughts by letting her just say whatever she felt.

Let me tell you, it was hard! SO hard!! But so important for her to work through and talk about. And I write about it because it is all part of this journey of her and her freckle.

We ended the evening in front of the mirror so she could show me what she didn't like. She pointed to her eyebrow, as well as all the redness around her eye (scars and the skin graft under her eyebrow) and said she didn't like it because it looked like blood. I told her that we can use special stuff to cover it up a bit if she'd like, which she loved. Thankfully her and I have very similar skin tone, and so my cover up will work for her (which by the way, she hasn't asked for since this night and I have not brought it up).

I also reassured her that the redness will fade away over time, which she also was happy to hear.

Once tucked into bed, I did then tell her that while she may not like it that her face looks different than others, I said that I did - because that's how I know she is my girl! The sparkle was in her eye and she fell asleep with a smile on her face.

I then went back outside to the campfire and cried.

Did we handle it right? I don't know. You may even have disagreed with how we handled it. All I know and am comforted in is the fact that God chose us for her and her for us. And so we will continue to look to Him for all things we need to raise our daughter up to know that she IS special and beautiful - not because of her birthmark, but because she is His child. We pray that we may continue to help her to grow emotionally, that she may know that she may come to us and be heard. And we pray that this journey also helps her to be open-minded to others that may look different, that she may see past the differences and acknowledge that they are still people, people with feelings just like her.
 
 

5 comments:

  1. Tears. Just tears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very wise way of dealing with it. So many parents would disagree with their child and by that unintentionally dismiss their feelings. We all want our emotions to be validated. They aren't right or wrong. I also do believe that God put her in your lives and have given you the love and wisdom to help her deal with all the issues and concerns she will have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Michelle... :'( (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going through a similar situation with my daughter who had a large scalp growth removed at 8 months which has left her with a big long scar that is stretching as she grows and getting harder to hide. I am dreading the coming moment and filled with anxiety. - J

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that you gave her space to be heard. It's okay that you don't have all of the answers but she must know that she is loved and cared for! When I had surgery, I ended up with a 9 inch scar...which is very mild compared to her surgeries, and one of my friends told me I shouldn't worry about it and I should be proud of my scars. I never forgot that.

    ReplyDelete