Monday, June 4, 2012

Fill #7

Didn't I just write a post about the last fill??! That's what it sure feels like, especially because we went today instead of this coming Wednesday. After the fill on Wednesday last week, Keziah did very well. She even had a sleepover at Oma and Opa's with her brother until Saturday so her mom and dad could try out the camping trailer to get it ready for the summer. So we really didn't have a whole lot of time to prepare for today, other than talking about it a bit. I'll be honest, I don't usually like to do anything about preparing her until the day or two beforehand, giving us all a few days "off" from hospital talk. This time, I still wasn't ready by Saturday to work with her as I myself was not in the right frame of mind....meaning, I was not looking forward to Monday. By Sunday I snapped out of it, clueing in that once Monday is done, we don't have to worry about going to the hospital until 10 days from now!! And it'll be another fill done! Yahoo!!

And so today came quick and early but was met with peace and strength. Prayer is such an amazing means of communicating with our heavenly Father. We knew we were being lifted up in prayer for today and that helped immensely.

We woke up earlier today, anticipating that driving to Toronto on a Monday would be a bit busier. Keziah was no worse for wear for having to get up early. She promply got dressed and then made a picture for Shaindy, her Child Life Coach.




She enjoyed a breakfast for Champions, eager and excited once again to go to the hospital (I find that so amazing, because of how she is during the procedures)


Then off we went. No accidents and no tickets! Yay!! But let me tell you, I never knew I could crave Oreos at 7 o'clock in the morning! I guess following this truck for over an hour would do that to any sane person!


I was secretly hoping that the truck would tip somehow (carefully so no one would get hurt) and lose its load. But that was not to be. Oh well.

Shaindy met us again in the waiting room, where Kez gave her the picture she made. But all interest in the picture was lost once Keziah saw what Shaindy brought to the hospital!!






Again, everything went well until the words "Okay Kez, time to sit in mommy's lap." were uttered. She fought it again, yelling "I don't like the doctors, Mom!!!!" over and over. Thankfully they only had to fill one expander, that being her forehead, so it was over fairly quickly, putting in 25 cc's. As soon as the doctors were done, she was done her fit. They left her cheek alone for this time. They will see if they fill it a bit more next week, depending on how everything looks.

Once done, Keziah waited patiently for more bravery beads to be added to her necklace.




Other than that crying spell she had two fills ago, she has always recovered very quickly. This picture gives you an example of how quick she recovers. I know it's blurry, but that's the point.....she was jumping all around, happy as a lark!


Here she is with Dr. Tom. Dr. Tom is the one who has done most of the fills. He is a very kind, caring and fanTAStic doctor. Even Keziah thinks so...as long as he doesn't touch her :o)




Next week, Shaindy will not be there, so Keziah was introduced to another Child Life Coach, Riann. She will be with Kez for the next time. Looks like Keziah won't mind! Riann has pretty cool things, too!


And within the hour, we were going back home, looking forward to a break before the next fill.


Here she is, close ups of this last fill. She is definitely getting quite the bubble on her head! (she first wanted to do a funny face...this is about as good as she could get it without laughing!)





Quite something, eh?! Yeah. They are definitely expanding! We are thankful to know the end (of this phase) is in sight, because I am not too sure how much more her little neck can hold up!!

Our little man was once again taken care of by my mom. She has been here the last number of fills and it has been so helpful! Thanks, Mom!! Lincoln also says "thanks" with a great big smile.

And yes, he can be serious.....sometimes.


Some of you have asked questions in regards to her ability to sleep and the risk of the expanders popping if she bangs her head/cheek. I will address these questions later this week. If you have any more, either email me (see "contact me" tab at the top) or ask below in the comments and we will do our best to answer them. Have a great week!!

4 comments:

  1. I have to admit, these are harder to read every time. You have one little brave girl there. We are praying for you and her. Olivia was sitting with me one time when I was reading your blog and she says "mom she has a cool necklace" - and then I was again reminded about the innocence of children. God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love her. The resilience of children; it is amazing. God is so good. Thinking of you, through out the week, always. Aunt Coosje

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kids are so stinkin' cute! I love the one of Kez on her tip-toes. And I see I'm not the only one who uses wipes containers as a crayon/pencil box :) As hard as this all is, it's great that it happens now, and not when she is older as that would be much harder I imagine! Wishing you peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Keziah
    Mommy wasn't going to write anything this time and I got very upset. Of course we have to let you know that we read about how you and your family are doing. I think you are very brave and I'm also thankful to the LORD that you can have these hospital trips while you're not even three. I love your froggie backpack. I wanted you to know that I don't really know you, but I love you and think you're beautiful. Be careful and keep having fun!
    Peter dB

    ReplyDelete