Thursday, September 20, 2012

Underfoot

Having taught kindergarten for 10 years, you'd think I would be used to having kids around me and be filled with so much patience. However, having a 5 or 6 year old (or many of them) near me all the time is so different than having a toddler around me. And there are times I think I used up all my patience on those students of mine as there are some days I just don't seem to have any!

As soon as Keziah learned to crawl, she was often found "under my feet". Although that saying shouldn't be taken literal, there were times that she was seriously under my feet as I turned from the counter and would trip over her.


Once she was older, it wasn't just her under my feet, but along came all her little toys. Wherever I was working in the kitchen, in a matter of minutes there would be this and that, little treasures that she was playing with.

I must admit something: I am not one of those moms that think "Oh, treasure these moments, for soon it shall pass and you'll wish to have them back". Oh, don't get me wrong, I did treasure those times that she would plunk her little diapered butt right by my feet to play, but I would be lying if I said I enjoyed every.single.time. she plopped herself down. To be truthful, I think I treasured it for the first 4 times that she did that. After that however, it wasn't so "treasured" anymore. I lacked the patience which was heard in my exasperated voice: "Keziah, would you please clean up your toys away from mommy so I don't trip!!!".

It is actually quite amazing that I haven't broken my back from tripping backwards or that she hasn't been squished into a pancake from me landing on her. It is also amazing (but not the same kind of amazing as mentioned first) that I haven't broken a single toy from stepping on it. And yes, some toys even managed to survive when I would "by accident" hoof them out of my way.

Over time, as she got older, she went from under my feet to beside me, a transition that I have treasured more than 4 times :o)

Keziah LOVES to help. I usually LOVE it when she does. That is, after I've prayed for patience. Having a toddler help you definitely doesn't make things go quicker. To help my patience, I do often start making supper around 4, because let me tell you, by the time each plate has lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, walnuts, raisins and apples all chopped and divied up, it is 6 o'clock!!

Things do go a little quicker now as she is getting older. The prayer for patience wasn't needed so much at that time of the day (other times, oh yes, but not so much when I was working in kitchen).

But you know what? I am finding myself praying for patience again, because now I have another child underfoot!!! And because big sister likes to play with whatever little brother is playing with, that makes for TWO kiddies plus their toys under my feet!!!


I know it's important for children to be around their parents as that is how they learn so much. And so I will continue to pray for patience, knowing that God hears my prayers and will grant to me what I need.

This is just starting to happen, now that Lincoln knows how to crawl. That means right now I am treasuring it. We'll see how long that lasts!:o)) Although in the moment I may get frustrated as the kiddies are entering my workspace, there are plenty of times that I can't believe that I have my own little ones that want to be near me, their mom. How blessed am I!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment