Saturday, May 26, 2012

Awkward

Last night, after dinner, Keziah and I went out to run some errands. We went to Costco to pick up a few things. HA! If that sentence isn't an oxymoron, I'm not sure what would be! "to pick up a few things at Costco." Yeah, like that every happens :o)

While there, a situation arose which left me feeling very awkward. I was walking down the aisle with Kez in the cart. We turned the corner and there was a father, mother and an 8 year old girl (or around 8). She saw Keziah and pointed to her, asking her father "what is wrong with that girl's face?". The father then absolutely reemed her out, yelling at her to NEVER point at someone and that he NEVER wants to see her do that again. And I mean, he yelled at her.

I stood there, not knowing what to do. Part of me wanted to thank the father for making his daughter aware of her actions, yet I wanted to tell him that he didn't have to yell at her because she really was asking out of curiosity, not with a tone of indifference. I also wanted to take that little girl's hand, bring her to Kez and explain what was going on so that her questions were answered. I felt so bad for her, being laid into like that.

They started walking by and I waited to see if I could catch any of their eye, to smile to them to relax the situation. The father refused to look at me and stared sternly ahead, while the daughter gripped onto her mother's hand, walking behind him.

I am sure that girl will never forget this. I just wish it could have played out differently.

As for MY girl and her reaction? She just watched what was going on but I don't think she realized it was about her. As I started to push the cart, we continued on with our little game that we were playing before, her grabbing my arm while I am trying to push the cart, saying, "Mom, do you know that I love you?" This is when I am SOOO glad we are doing these procedures now and not when she is older.
(these pictures were from a few "fills" ago).

3 comments:

  1. Having experienced a situation like this once (my heart breaks for this little 8-year old), you might just be able to 'play out differently' a next time. I'm sure the father's reaction would have stunned any of us into not knowing what to do. You remain in our prayers and you are being an incredible witness to amny around you. TIm and Elly and family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awh! Too bad they didn't even ask you so you could tell the girl! That would have relieved the tension! Reading this may help some of us with the kids who say things and point, how to handle it gently :) Thinking of you all continually! Darryl Lish and Mya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle, your strength never ceases to amaze me. Praise God for the extra measure He has provided to you! I wish that dear child had the opportunity to understand what's going on with Keziah...she'll feel guilty and wonder probably for the rest of her life. A situation that could have been handled so differently, and been educational, turned into a horrible experience.
    I'm thankful, though, that Keziah didn't understand what had happened. I remember after my accident that MANY times children would point and shout out questions, or even run away crying. As an adult it's hard enough to bear...I would imagine it much more difficult for a child.
    Praying for continued strength,
    Steph Visser and family

    ReplyDelete