Sunday, May 13, 2012

A Side Street...

I know this blog is called Keziah's Journey, but as we take this road, we will be going down some side streets. One of them I am sure you've noticed is named Lincoln :o) The other side street that came up briefly in the very first post is adoption. It is this side street that I'd like to take you down for a minute or so.

Today is Mother's Day. For many years, it was a day of mixed emotions for me. I was excited the week before as I prepared gifts with my students to give to their mothers. This gift usually involved the painting of feet or hands that was put with a poem (which I can still recite off by heart!). I loved doing this with my students, not only because it was a gift for their mothers, but it meant doing something fun and hopefully memorable! Smelling those stinky feet was so worth it as I got to hear the laughter of my students while painting in between their toes!

So as a teacher, it was fun. As a married woman in a usually fertile community (and I don't mean the soil :o) it was a tough day. But as the years went by, Mother's Day did become easier and I was able to join in the celebration of it, with a happy and peaceful heart. The fact that I was remembered on this day through prayers, cards, little gifts (even from my students....how thoughtful!!!!) and being so involved with our friends' children on this day (Arie and Tam, you know who you are!!) definitely helped.

And now, we are here today. Today, I am a mother. I did receive a Mother's day card (after forgetting last year, I was pretty positive my dear husband would not forget again :o). But you know what? The day is STILL filled with mixed emotions. While being so happy for us, we think of two very important women: Keziah's and Lincoln's birth mothers. While my day is filled with thankfulness for the two children we have received, their day may be trying, emotional and hard.

I know so many people question as to how birth mothers can "give up" their children, but allow me point out something: in today's day and age, when abortion seems to be the answer, we cannot help but respect these two women, who understood they were carrying life and did their utmost to be the best mothers they could be for those 9 very important and vital months. I would think aborting is giving up.

We are so thankful to God, that through Keziah's and Lincoln's birth mothers, we may experience so much through our children. And we pray to God that He will be with ALL those who find this day difficult, whether that be for birth mothers, or those who are hoping to adopt; those who know they'll never be mothers and those who have lost their mothers.

Thank you God, for allowing me to be the mother to these two precious gifts, that although they did not grow under my heart, they will grow up to know that they grew in it.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful Michelle ... thanks for sharing!
    Happy Mothers Day !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Michelle! And to those children whose 'stinky'feet you printed you were also so much like a mother too. Many probably even called you mom once in a while without realizing. :) May you enjoy many more happy mothers days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry forgot to sign my name, wilma vdw :)

      Delete
    2. Ah, yes. I loved my students as if they were my own. June was very tough when I had to pass them on....but then I fell in love with a whole new group!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful, Michelle. I love that you are willing to open to us another perspective. For too long we did not hear the side of these different groups for whom Mother's Day is anything but. Thankfully we are becoming more aware! Coosje

    ReplyDelete
  4. So this post totally made me blubber like a baby. (nothing like going to church with big puffy eyes) That said, it was beautifully written! You are a wonderful mother and Keziah and Lincoln are so blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You put that into words very nicely Michelle! I make a point to pray for the birth moms of our 3 oldest children on Mother's Day (as well as other random times through the year, but always on Mother's Day). We do not know where they are or what they are going through in their lives but God does! Happy Mother's Day Michelle!
    Elaine H

    ReplyDelete